Saturday, September 1, 2007

Billy Pittman Scores Big

Billy Pittman, a wide receiver for the Univeristy of Texas Longhorns football team, borrowed a friend’s car during the summer of 2007, in violation of the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Such actions threaten his status as an amateur athlete.

Following up on an anonymous tip, University officials asked Billy about the use of the car. Billy admitted it right away. The University held him responsible for his actions. The coach suspended him for three games. The University voluntarily reported the rule violation to the college athletic association, the NCAA.

Billy made an almost perfect statement of accountability: “I’m really sorry. It was an honest mistake, and I’ll do everyting I can to make up for it.” What would have made it perfect would have been “I made a mistake. I’m really sorry. I’d do everyting I can to make up for it.” Then, of course, he has to mend his ways and make up for it. Saying it was an honest mistake was his statement one of self-justification, which was unnecessary.

Good for you, Billy. You are a real man. You made a mistake and you admitted it. You also pledged to make up for it.

No comments: